Wednesday 10 June 2015

8-minute abs

A few years ago, I discovered a wonderful 80s-style workout video "8-minute abs". You know that old-timey workout video... the one with a spandex-clad instructor doing a random workout in an empty park... you know the one. 


Of course, I was always enticed by this video because it promised abs in a pitiful eight minutes (my kind of training!) One day I said to myself, "I am going to do this every single morning before I start my day and I am going to have such a flat stomach!" Needless to say, this resolution lasted a week.

Now that I'm more of a seasoned gym-goer, I've been putting in more effort than a half-hearted eight minutes. This morning, however, something drew me to the old abs video. Maybe it was a sense of nostalgia. Maybe it was the urge to rid my sins of the pie the night before. Whatever the reason, I did my eight minutes, and was pleasantly surprised by one little change.

On the last exercise, the instructor makes you place your fingers on your rectus abdominals (the ab area just below your boobs) while you do a minute of crunches. You're meant to feel the flat sheath that makes up the rectus abdominal muscles, and he says "hopefully you won't have to dig too far for long, gang" (Gang... Good god how old is this video? Who says that anymore?) A few years ago, this statement baffled me. I couldn't feel this "flat sheath" and I most certainly had to dig to feel anything under the blanket of fat. Today, for the first time, I felt the flat sheath... and it felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment