Wednesday 12 August 2015

Recipe: Healthier Mac & Cheese

I despise food wastage, so I try to use up all the leftovers in my fridge. The notion was probably burned into my psyche from childhood - don't you know there are starving children in Africa?!

This recipe was born from some leftover fat-free yogurt that was just begging to be used.


I know there is butter in this recipe. Before you start shunning the heathen... just know that I don't care what you think. Life is not worth living without a little bit of butter. I'll go low fat, but I'll never compromise on flavour :) I also LOVE garlic so I use a lot. You can reduce the amount for your recipe if you're not in the business of warding off vampires.



Healthier Mac & Cheese
Serves: 2 hungry people (or 3 regular humans)

Ingredients:
  •  Half a packet of pasta
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Half a small onion, diced
  • 2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tbs flour
  • Half cup fat-free milk
  • Half cup fat-free yogurt
  • 1 cup mozzarella, grated
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper 
  • salt and pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. While the pasta is boiling, reserve about a quarter cup of the pasta water. 
  2. When the pasta is cooked, drain and set aside.
  3. Place the butter and olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat, until the onions are soft and translucent.
  4. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, stirring constantly so that it doesn't burn. 
  5. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
  6. Add the milk and bring to the boil. Add cayenne, salt, and pepper to the mixture (I use lots of cayenne because I like a bit of heat)
  7. Once the mixture is getting a thicker consistency, take the pan off the heat and add the yogurt and cheese. 
  8. Stir in the pasta and do a final taste test for seasoning. 
  9. If the sauce is too globby, add a bit of the reserved pasta water to make it smoother and thinner. 
I had some cooked bacon in the fridge so I chopped it up and added it to the sauce. You could add any toppings you like - mushrooms, peppers, chicken... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment