Thursday 8 October 2015

Just focus on today

One of the hardest parts about being a weight loss veteran is trying to help people who are struggling when I haven't got it all figured out either. This morning my friend Micaela anxiously messaged asking if her weight loss efforts are ever going to pay off.

For a while I wasn't sure what to say. How do you reassure someone that everything will be okay? How do you make them understand that change doesn't happen in a day? How do you explain that, even after two years, it still isn't easy?

Then I remembered a video from my favourite blogger, Andie Mitchell. In a TEDx talk, she recalls a story where a sponsor asks "Do you think you can make it to the end of today? Forget tomorrow, forget next week, just focus on making it through today".


I completely forgot about how important those words are. This week I've been struggling with emotional eating - fluctuations between boredom and stress have resulted in mass consumption of Lays chips and ice cream. I'll put on a kilo and get in a tizzy thinking I'm sliding back into my old ways. This reminder from Andie came exactly at the right time.

I discovered this wonderful lady Andie Mitchell when I came across her post "What I miss from 135lbs ago". Her feelings are my feelings. She has an incredible gift of expressing her emotions and experiences in words - and you can relate to all of it. She inspired me to start this blog, and to try to express myself as she does.

So I reminded Micaela: You need to just focus on today. Don't worry about how much weight you will lose and when... Just focus on being healthy today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment