Monday 27 April 2015

Annoying things people say #2

A few months ago I had a Modern Family moment when I triumphantly strut into hospice to release my jeans into the wild. My jeans (and even the jeggings) started getting really saggy at the thighs giving me the attractive silhouette of a dumpy middle-aged woman. Excited about getting rid of these monstrosities, I phoned my parents to share the good news.

Me: Dad, I got rid of all my jeans. They don't fit anymore and look ridiculous! I took a whole bunch of clothes down to hospice today.

Dad: You shouldn't have given away your clothing.

Me: Why?

Dad: You'll need it when you put the weight back on again.

I love my dad, but that sort of demeaning honesty is so uncalled for.


In these situations you need to stand up for yourself and explain why you need support rather than judgement. In Modern Family, Cam told Mitchell that he needed to throw out his jeans because if he still had them they would always be a crutch - a back up plan if he put on weight again. It's also somewhat of a cathartic experience - a way of letting go of your fat pants memories and embracing your new lifestyle.

I am now the proud owner of size 12 jeans - a size I haven't fit into since my teens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment